The Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad's West Pittsburg Station was built by W.F Trimble & Sons at a cost of $32,544.54. Opened in 1907, the 32' x 85' sandstone block and brick building had a tile roof with glass tile in the center that let light into the main waiting room. The glass tiles were painted black during World War II to prevent the station from being easily seen from the air at night. In addition to the main waiting room (which was for men only), the interior included a women's waiting room, men's and women's toilets, ticket office, baggage room, storage closet, and a coal bin.
Passenger service to the station ended in the early 1960s, thereby rendering it obsolete. Shortly thereafter the P&LE sold the station and approximately 4.5 acres of property to a West Pittsburg business owner [who] used the building for storage and later rented it to another business. Today the station is the official home of the Beaver-Lawrence Railway Historical Society.
What it is today
We are installing new lights in the main waiting room.
We are installing 2" insulation foam board with a foil face.
Note the walls have been painted and woodwork restored.
Don Harper caught these engines from other railroads at the head of a CSX tank train on Monday, January 16, 2023. The train stopped at the crossing in front of our station to change crews. One of many trains to be seen passing by our station daily.
Owned by Warren Buffet.
The Brookville Building is dedicated in memory of Bruce Kelly
Bruce was a Diesel Mechanic and restored the engine of the Brookville
Mike Zilka, Sr. designed the signs and had them made. They are two layers of laser cut steel. They are powder coated and should last a long time.
Our Speeder Shed is dedicated in the memory of Michael J. Zilka, Jr. who passed away long before his time. We all miss his smile.
This Injector Pump needs rebuilt for the rear engine to operate. The locomotive runs on the front engine, when this is done both engines will operate
Here is our locomotive at it's former home, the Ohio Edison Power Plant in Niles, Ohio, as it was being readied to move to our station.
Here is the switch or turnout that lets our Brookville Rail Bus on to the main line from it's barn.
Here we are jacking the track into place before spiking it to the ties using a jackhammer.
We would love to hear from and and to see what we could do or change to better your next visit.
Mailing Address:P.O. Box 429 West Pittsburg, Pennsylvania 16160-0429
Club member Regis Kuntz spent several months building this shed to house our Fairmont Speeder. Thanks, Rege!
Here ballast is being spread in preparation for extending our tracks. We currently have 1200 feet of track and will extend it more.
Here is our Pennsylvania Railroad Flat Car arriving on a truck.
This is our meeting room. It is the Ladies Waiting Room. Yes, in 1907 the Railroad gave the ladies their own waiting room. The narrow window in the corner gave a view of incoming trains.
Here is our 1940 Brookville U.S. Army Rail Bus in action. It was used by the Army to haul ammunition at the Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey. It took us close to 20 years to restore it.
Copyright © 2023 Beaver Lawrence Railway Historical Society, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder